Re: [netcdf-java] New NODC OPeNDAP data sets and Java netCDF

Roland Schweitzer wrote:
Hi,

NODC recently announced their new OPeNDAP server (http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/opendap/). There's a bunch of wonderful data available there, but of course the first one I tried didn't work out very well using Java netCDF tools.

To start with it is an HDF file (or so I assume from the file name extension). Ferret able to make sense of the geo-referencing in the file and make a plot. However, I think because the "coordinate variables" don't follow the convention of having the same name as their dimension (I assume because of the trickery involved in reading the HDF file via the netCDF API), the Jave netCDF tools can't make sense of the file (from the point of view of geo-referencing based on conventions). I tried my tools and the latest toolsUI.

Is there something that can be done with ncML to augment the metadata or create new variables that would allow the Java netCDF library to make see the variables as geo-referenced grids?

Roland

http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/opendap/pathfinder/Version5.0_Climatologies/Monthly/Day/month01_day.hdf

ToolsUI output:
Jul 29, 2009 2:07:00 PM ucar.nc2.dods.DODSGrid <init>
WARNING: DODSGrid cant find dimension = <Latitude>
Jul 29, 2009 2:07:00 PM ucar.nc2.dods.DODSGrid <init>
WARNING: DODSGrid cant find dimension = <Longitude>