[netcdf-java] Missing GRIB parameters in NetCDF?

  • To: caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [netcdf-java] Missing GRIB parameters in NetCDF?
  • From: "Tor Christian Bekkvik" <torc@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:57:00 +0200
Hi,
I am using NetCDF to read GRIB/GRIB2 files. Almost everything works
fine, but some GRIB parameters seems to be unavailable via the NetCDF
API. I this case, I could not find
       "RESOLUTION AND COMPONENT FLAGS (GDS OCTET 17)" from the GRIB
file.
, at least not in the NetCDF attributes..

(Details: This GDS parameter from the GRIB file tells how to interpret
direction from combined U- and V- components. (In my case, current
vectors from weather data)
Text from GRIB standards documentation:

   TABLE 7 - RESOLUTION AND COMPONENT FLAGS (GDS OCTET 17):
   Bit 5:
   0     u- and v-components of vector quantities resolved relative
           to easterly and northerly directions

   1     u and v components of vector quantities resolved relative
           to the defined grid in the direction of increasing x and y
           (or i and j) coordinates respectively

)

- How could we get this GRIB parameter ?

Thanks,

Tor Chr Bekkvik