[netcdf-java] supporting unsigned byte data

I found there has been some discussion about having a variable
attribute "_Unsigned" that would allow for unsigned byte data to be
supported.  Well, one of our people created a netCDF file with bytes
which he treated as "unsigned"....but when he read the file and
specified a (float) scale and offset, he got the "wrong"
answers...until he started treating the byte values as signed -- his
unhappiness is that IDL apparently treats bytes as unsigned, so he
cannot easily use his file in both (IDV is the other one) places.  I
tried a few combinations in the toosUI, using NCML, but could not get
anything to work...

Is this supported?  If so, is there some magic?  (I'm running netCDF-java 4.1).

Thanks...

tom

--
Tom Whittaker