Re: [netcdf-java] Missing GRIB parameters in NetCDF?

  • To: rkambic <rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] Missing GRIB parameters in NetCDF?
  • From: "Tor Christian Bekkvik" <torc@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:21:20 +0200
Thank You, It helps to know what to look for (GridIndex, GridDefRecord).
But It is still unclear how to get these, given a variable or its
Gridset:

   mNCdataset = NetcdfDataset.openDataset(this.mFilename, true, null);
   mNCgridDataset = new ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GridDataset(mNCdataset);
   for (ucar.nc2.dt.GridDataset.Gridset gs :
   mNCgridDataset.getGridsets())
   {       for (GridDatatype gg : gs.getGrids())
           {       VariableEnhanced variable = gg.getVariable(); //gets
   U and V variables here.
   (When interpreting and joining U&V variable components, info from
   GridDefRecord etc. only gives meaning when associated with these
   variables)

Regards,
Tor C

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Robb Kambic wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Tor Christian Bekkvik wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I am using NetCDF to read GRIB/GRIB2 files. Almost everything works
>> fine, but some GRIB parameters seems to be unavailable via the NetCDF
>> API. I this case, I could not find
>>        "RESOLUTION AND COMPONENT FLAGS (GDS OCTET 17)" from the GRIB
file.
>> , at least not in the NetCDF attributes..
>>
>> (Details: This GDS parameter from the GRIB file tells how to
>> interpret direction from combined U- and V- components. (In my case,
>> current vectors from weather data) Text from GRIB standards
>> documentation:
>>
>>       TABLE 7 - RESOLUTION AND COMPONENT FLAGS (GDS OCTET 17):
>>       Bit 5:
>>       0     u- and v-components of vector quantities resolved
relative
>>               to easterly and northerly directions
>>
>>       1     u and v components of vector quantities resolved relative
>>               to the defined grid in the direction of increasing x
and y
>>               (or i and j) coordinates respectively
>>
>> )
>>

>> - How could we get this GRIB parameter ?

Tor,

The information is available in the CDM stack, ie

GridIndex index;

List<GridDefRecord> hcsList = index.getHorizCoordSys(); for
(GridDefRecord gds : hcsList) {
   String windflag = gds.getParam(GridDefRecord.WIND_FLAG)
}

In my first response it was a mistake to move the discussion from the
netCDF-Java library to the lower level GRIB library without an
explanation. The purpose was to show you the code snipet of how the
value was obtained. Hopefully I didn't confuse you.

Robb...

=======
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/