Re: [netcdf-java] Help Calling Java from Matlab

Hi again -

I've been using mexnc and the NetCDF Toolbox forever; it can be just
a little painful to port this around to different versions of Matlab on different
versions of Mac OS X.

If I can write NetCDF without mexnc, I'd like to give it a try, but I was
surprised there wasn't more discussion about it on the list.  Maybe all
the other Matlab users are happy with mexnc?

I can live without the redefine function, maybe because my datasets
are all in situ data, and are probably a lot smaller than what you might
be working with.

Thanks very much -
Nan

Nan,

We use our Netcdf-Java Toolbox for Matlab (http://njtbx.sourceforge.net <http://njtbx.sourceforge.net/>) to *access* NetCDF, OPenDAP and NcML, as well as utilize CF-Conventions, and this toolbox relies on NetCDF-Java to do the heavy lifting. (there will be a new release of these tools later today, BTW...)

For writing NetCDF files, we still use the NetCDF Toolbox or SNCTOOLS, both of which depend on mex files. But if you have Matlab 2008b or later, the required mex files are included with your Matlab distribution from Mathworks -- you don't need to obtain them elsewhere.

The only thing you need for 2008b or later is the m-file distribution of the NetCDF Toolbox or SNCTOOLS, which I get via SVN following the instructions at:

http://mexcdf.sourceforge.net/

I know it's possible to write entire files using NetCDF-Java, but my understanding is that it's still not possible to put an existing file in redefine mode, so you can't open an existing netcdf file for writing and start adding things.

-Rich