Re: [netcdf-java] Common Data Model, Scientific feature type "Profile", Dapper sequences and NetCDF4

  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] Common Data Model, Scientific feature type "Profile", Dapper sequences and NetCDF4
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:57:10 -0600
Rich Signell wrote:
NJ folks,

In the Common Data Model Scientific Datatypes docs, there is mention
of a "profile feature collection"

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/CDM/
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/FeatureDatasets/PointFeatures.html

Profile data seem like a natural fit for OpenDAP sequences as a
delivery mechanism over the web and NetCDF4 as a persistence format,
so I'm wondering:

Is the profile scientific feature type designed to be compatible with
Dapper sequences for profile data?

Is there an example of a NetCDF4 file that contains a profile feature
collection?

Thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich:

We are working on netcdf3-CF encodings of all the Point Feature types:

 https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/wiki/PointObservationConventions

Ill start to make a collection of sample files as I get them. We have not yet
started to look at ways to use the new features of netcdf-4 for this.

The new CDM Point Feature APIs all map well to opendap sequences and dapper,
although the actual work has not been done. One issue is that I dont know of
any clients who could make use of this. Do you have any in mind?