[netcdf-java] Variable Length Dimensions and IOSPs

I'm defining  my time dimension in ncml as:
  <dimension name="time" isUnlimited="true" isVariableLength="true"/>
and the variable:
  <variable name="time" shape="time" type="double"/>

and my IOSP is constructing the Dimension accordingly:
  new Dimension("time", -1, true, true, true);
I'm using "-1" as does Dimension.VLEN.

First question: Is that the way to do it?
If yes, continue.

When I call "read()" on my time variable, my IOSP's "read" method is given a Section of "[0:-2]"

Is this by design? Is it safe to assume that I should read the entire dimension if I'm given a range of "0:-2"?

Thanks,
Doug