Re: [netcdf-java] Empty Variables

Doug Lindholm wrote:
The Variable in question right now is my "time" coordinate variable with unlimited dimension. Would "time" as a Sequence play nicely in that context? I suppose the "right" thing to do would be to step back and make a Sequence with time as a member.
yes

It still seems that it would make sense to "section" a Variable with an EMPTY Range. Does that break fundamental assumptions to have a zero-length Variable?
yes, not in the "classic model"
Where is Range.EMPTY used?
Its part of the algebra of Range's. Only place in netcdf is for unlimited dimensions, which are allowed to be zero length.

Thanks,
Doug

john caron wrote:
Its possible you want a Sequence, which is allowed to be empty.

Doug Lindholm wrote:
Hi,

I was pleased to discover Range.EMPTY, but disappointed that Variable and Array's "section" methods don't play nicely with it.

My use case involves applying a constraint to the data (e.g. time < 10) which may result in zero samples. "null" isn't a good option, because I still want to be able to access a Variable's metadata.

Any suggestions for making a Variable empty?

Thanks,
Doug