Re: [netcdf-java] Anyone using NetCDF-java to generate WRF input files?

  • To: Rich Signell <rsignell@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] Anyone using NetCDF-java to generate WRF input files?
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 07:07:04 -0700
Rich Signell wrote:
NetCDF-Java WRF folk,

I just setup a WRF run for the first time, and was surprised that for
realistic runs driven by other met models, you need to download grib
files, compile and run a program that converts grib into an
intermediate format, then compile and run another program that creates
NetCDF forcing files for WRF.

Seems like it would be a lot easier to write a program with
NetCDF-Java that would allow you to subset forcing data for your
region of interest via OPeNDAP, and write the NetCDF files directly.

Has anyone already done this or working on this?
If not, does this seem like a good idea?
Do you think I should ask this on a WRF group?  If so, which group?

Thanks,
Rich

closest i know of is mark.seefeldt@xxxxxxxxxxxx (May 2008) :

" I am working on creating a CF compliant NetCDF file from the native WRF netcdf output. I am using NCL as the means to accomplish this task."

You could try this group: