Re: [netcdf-java] ncWMS and ellipsoid-support in CF-1.2

Quick follow up for what Andrea Antonello said.

My group and I have been reading/processing netCDF files in GeoTools
for a long time, therefore I am a bit worried about a straight
dependences on geotoolkit.
Besides, a few things that have not been mentioned in this discussion
(I am not going to dive deep into the reason of the fork)

-1- GeoTools and GeoToolkit referencing should implement the same
interface as dictated by the GeoApi project, therefore if we had to
introduce a dependency I would probably introduce it against GeoApi
interface rather than this or that implementation. If I am right the
whole reason behind the GeoApi project was to avoid this kind of
situation, that is, being bound to implementation A rather than
implementation B.
Now the problem is that as far as I can see one of the consequences of
the fork is that the GeoApi interfaces has started to drift away,
therefore I am pretty sure that GeoTools and GeoToolkit are not
aligned anymore.

-2- If the focus is on porting proj4 projection while retaining a
small footprint I would consider the proj4j project that has been
created by Martin Davis, the guy behind JTS.
http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.com/2010/01/announcing-proj4j.html
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj4j/

-3- I guess that someone on this list from unidata should talke a look
at the MetaCRS initiative from OSGEO.
http://trac.osgeo.org/metacrs/

Long story short, I would avoid straight dependencies, being it
GeoTools, GeoToolkit or whatever large framework.

Regards,
Simone.

Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.