Re: [netcdf-java] Common Data Model plans

I still intend to focus on Java, but I want to be able to plug in a light-weight alternative to NetCDF-Java. I have a system with a data model implementation that is consistent with the CDM. Instead of writing an IOSP or subclassing NetcdfFile and taking on all of NetCDF's dependencies, I'd like to have a Java Interface that my data model could implement. All "client" code would then write to that interface. NetCDF and other implementations of that same interface would then be usable by that same client.

I work with groups that will never adopt NetCDF-Java but they might implement a simple set of Java Interfaces with their data model. This would lower a lot of barriers to interoperability. Is the CDM moving in this direction or is the plan to expose all other data via the NetCDF-Java API?

Thanks,
Doug