From: netcdf-java-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netcdf-java-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Doug Lindholm
Sent: 28 March 2010 18:59
To: John Caron
Cc: netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] Common Data Model plans

Hi John,

While presenting our Time Series Data Server poster
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/tsds/files/TSDS_poster_nobg.pdf/downloa
d)
at AGU, for example, I talked with some people who live in a CDF centric

environment. They have their tools that are likewise tightly coupled to
the CDF APIs. It is not realistic for them to refactor their system and
retool their clients to use the NetCDF libraries, but it may be
reasonable for them to abstract out a CDM interface and break the
coupling between "client" code and "server" code. Once that happens, any

code that writes to the CDM interface can interoperate.

I agree that providing the ideal CDM API is a grand idea and bound to be

fraught with pesky reality. So, I guess my question is, is such an API
part of the vision for the CDM? I take it the answer is that it is
desirable but not immediately practical, or funded.

Thanks,
Doug