Re: [netcdf-java] [Ncwms-users] ncWMS question

  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] [Ncwms-users] ncWMS question
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:37:40 -0600
Hi Sebastien:

I have to tell you that "Reduced Horizontal Grid" and "compression by
gathering" will probably be deprecated in CF. In any case, CDM/ncWMS cannot read those kinds
of files. I would definietly use netcdf-4 if possible as Rich suggests, the space savings will be
at least as good, and the compression is transparent to applications.

John

Jonathan Blower wrote:
Hi Sebastien,

Good to hear from you, thanks for getting in touch. I think you are the first person to ask me this question! ncWMS does not make any special provision for reduced horizontal grids or compression by gathering. However, I don’t know if there’s any support for this in the NetCDF-Java libraries, so I’m copying this message to their list.

If NetCDF-Java doesn’t support this kind of grid it may be possible to implement it in ncWMS. However, I’m travelling at the moment so I can’t give this much attention now I’m afraid. I’ll wait to hear from Unidata, then I’ll have a think about how to handle this.

Best wishes,

Jon