Subject: New Ticket - [netCDFJava !AEU-822700]: Disabling netCDF warning messages
Date:   Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:32:45 -0600
From:   Dan Schaffer <support-netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

New Ticket: Disabling netCDF warning messages

Hello

I am getting WARNING messages such as the following when I make calls to
ucar.nc2.FileWriter.writeToFile

Mar 31, 2010 2:16:12 PM ucar.nc2.iosp.netcdf3.N3header makeRecordStructure
WARNING: N3header.makeRecordStructure cant slice variable    int rh(time=0,
lat=3, lon=4);
      :long_name = "relative humidity";
      :units = "percent";

I'm not observing any incorrect results so it appears the warning is benign.

If it is benign, I'd like to know the cleanest way to shut these warnings off.
I develop in the maven/eclipse environment.
 From the SLF documentation I reference I could see how to turn them off when I
run my tests from mvn by modifying
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/logging.properties.  However, I'd prefer to accomplish this
in a more maintainable manner by modifying my mvn pom
file.  I tried doing that by adding the following

     <dependency>
       <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
       <artifactId>slf4j-log4j12</artifactId>
       <version>1.5.11</version>
       <scope>test</scope>
     </dependency>

But then I got the following messages when I ran the test:

SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in
[jar:file:/home/schaffer/.m2/repository/org/slf4j/slf4j-log4j12/1.5.11/slf4j-log4j12-1.5.11.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in
[jar:file:/home/schaffer/.m2/repository/ucar/netcdfAll/4.0/netcdfAll-4.0.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile).

Thanks,
Dan Schaffer