[netcdf-java] How to find the actual index of the x axis in a GridDatatype?

Hi,

I have a dataset in which the axis order for most variables is
t,i,j,level, which differs from the canonical order of t,level,j,i.

I'd like to be able to find out definitively the index of the x axis in
the physical data array.  If I call GridDatatype.getXDimensionIndex() I
get 3, which is the index in canonical order, but not the physical order
(in which the index is 1).

Is there any way of finding the actual index of the x axis in the
physical data array?

In this case, the i and j axes form a curvilinear coordinate system,
i.e. there are lon(i,j) and lat(i,j) variables.

Use case: custom low-level data-reading code.  Reading data using a raw
Variable is more efficient than through GridDatatype.

Cheers, Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre