Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] NetCDF jars=>Maven Central Repos?

Hello Chris

Le 01/11/10 21:04, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) a écrit :
Interesting. So, is there an SVN somewhere else besides the SVN [1] that is
linked on this page [2]? Are all of the jars listed in that netcdf-4.2.pom
available on Maven Central?

I have a local Mercurial repository (like SVN, but not centralized), but we don't necessarily need it since there is only 3 pom.xml files which can be fetched directly from the web (links below). I deployed the artifacts using "mvn deploy:deploy-file"; I didn't modified the NetCDF sources.

All the following dependencies are available on Maven central; you can just copy-and-paste the dependencies section from http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/netcdf/4.2/netcdf-4.2.pom:

 * jdom
 * commons-httpclient
 * commons-codec
 * commons-logging

The following dependencies are not available on Maven central, but I already deployed them on our repository. We need to deploy those dependencies to Maven central, but again a copy-and-paste of the following pom.xml files (probably with edition) should make the process easier:

* opendap:        http://maven.geotoolkit.org/org/opendap/opendap/2.2/
* bufrTables:     http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/bufrTables/2.0u1/
* unidatacommon:  http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/unidatacommon/4.2/

I suggest to start with opendap, since it was easier for me to identify its version number, groupId and some of its dependencies. For other dependencies, I'm less confident about what the proper version number / groupId should be.

Other dependencies like visad are optional. Whatever we should deploy them or not is an open question.

I sent an email many months ago on this topic and I've been working the
process little by little, as I've had time available.

Oups! I missed that email, sorry.

I had a different approach for deploying NetCDF. Instead than making it part of the build process, I created a small shell script which use "mvn deploy:deploy-file". Deploying is very easy and fast. The hard part is to guess what are the version number of various dependencies. I had to inspect the content of META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files and sometime to perform "diff" against different versions of the NetCDF library in order to see if a dependency actually changed.

I'm happy to deploy an update to Maven Central, I just need to make sure the
deps we reference in the POM are available there.

Let start with Opendap; all its dependencies are on Maven central as far as I know. Before to deploy, maybe we just need to make sure that the pom.xml is correct (organisation, URL, etc.).

Maybe we also need to choose how to process. Do we make the deployment part of the build process as you did (I don't know if it is easy to deploy individual JAR files that way), or do we use a shell script as I did? (I'm not attached to the script, since it was trivial to do).

        Regards,

                Martin