Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] NetCDF jars=>Maven Central Repos?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your message. Comments below:

> Thanks for tackling this.  This is one thing on my wish list...  (Assuming I
> have a choice) I would vote for a minimal NetCDF artifact with dependencies
> listed in the pom.  I would assume the netcdfAll jars (the 11Mb monsters) were
> available to avoid to dependency issues that a tool like maven addresses.

Heh, true, that's the problem though unfortunately: the existing NetCDF
build isn't in Maven. It's in Ant. It looks like folks like Martin have been
trying to more "Mavenize" the build, but the more that happens the more I
question whether maintaining 2 separate build tools makes sense. The stuff I
put in to publish to Maven Central in my patch simply adds Maven calls
through the Maven Ant Tasks library [1] to make it work, per Sonatype's
guide [2].

I think that the NetCDF community though has to decide if it wants to
continue with the Ant build or to simply use Maven. I'm staying out of that
holy war :) Either way we can integrate and publish to Maven Central.

I think there is an advantage however of having an uber jar at Central, but
maybe I should name the artifact something different, like
netcdf-4.2-with-dependencies.jar or something of that nature. That would
probably satisfy the enthusiast who wanted all the deps like me, or someone
who just wanted the minimal jar (in which case, they could get the more
minminal, netcdf-4.2.jar).

> I have it on my list to convert the IOSP from explicit registration to a
> javax.imageio.spi style registration (i.e. just drop it in the class path).
> This would play well with maven, just add the dependency for the IOSPs you
> want.  I've been deferring distribution of a GeoTIFF IOSP as I couldn't figure
> out a clean way to distribute it and all it's dependencies.

Yep that's the problem with having separated out NetCDF deps and jars, as
opposed to an uber one. I've been waiting a long while to even get the time
to publish this to the Maven Central -- it's not a one or 2 step process,
it's an involved guide. So, doing that for each dep that isn't in Central
already is a pain :(

> From the looks of the source tree layout it appears that build was migrating
> towards maven at some point.  It might not be too difficult to finish that up
> or create a pom.xml to build and deploy from source.

That would be, and certainly make it easier, but solving the deps in Central
issue is a must whether we're using Ant+Ivy or Maven to take care of this.

HTH!

Cheers,
Chris

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/download.html