Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] NetCDF jars=>Maven Central Repos?

Le 02/11/10 06:59, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) a écrit :
The following dependencies are not available on Maven central, but I already
deployed them on our repository. We need to deploy those dependencies to Maven
central, but again a copy-and-paste of the following pom.xml files (probably
with edition) should make the process easier:

* opendap:        http://maven.geotoolkit.org/org/opendap/opendap/2.2/
* bufrTables:     http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/bufrTables/2.0u1/
* unidatacommon:  http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/unidatacommon/4.2/

Where is the source for these pom files? Or, is this included with the
NetCDF source? Can you point me in SVN to where the source lives?

I just pushed the files on our public server for convenience. If you have Mercurial installed on your system, you can get the files as below:

    hg clone http://hg.geotoolkit.org/netcdf-deploy

This will create a "netcdf-deploy" directory on your machine. Alternatively, you can also browse on-line:

    http://hg.geotoolkit.org/netcdf-deploy/file/tip

All ".xml" files are actually POM files. I used the ".xml" extension only for allowing IDE to recognize them as XML files. For the "mvn deploy" commands, the extension doesn't matter.

Following instructions are for deploying existing artifacts only (i.e. NetCDF versions already released). For future NetCDF versions, I think that performing the releases from source code as you did would be better.

The deployment is performed by the "mvn-deploy.sh" script. For example in order to deploy "opendap":

1) Edit opendap.xml if needed
2) Run the following command:

       mvn-deploy.sh opendap

Thats all. We will need to edit the "mvn-deploy.sh" script however in order to change the repositoryId and URL from "geotoolkit" to "sonatype".

Furthermore, we need to add an extra step: signature. If I'm understanding well the following page:

https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/How+To+Generate+PGP+Signatures+With+Maven#HowToGeneratePGPSignaturesWithMaven-MavenGPGPlugin

We "only" need to add "maven-gpg-plugin" in the xml files, and replace "deploy:deploy-file" by "gpg:sign-and-deploy-file" in the mvn-deploy.sh script.

The new OPeNDAP namespace
would require another Sonatype OSS JIRA issue, per this guide [5].

Yes, I fell that a clean approach would be to create new JIRA issue for "org.opendap". Do you want me to take this action?

OK, any optional dependencies, I'll ignore for now.

Yes, that is easier for now :)

Hrm, are we talking about the opendap code that ships with the netcdf
library from NCAR or the OPeNDAP library code from opendap.org? If it's the
NetCDF one, I think the namespace should be edu.ucar.opendap, right?

I though that the opendap-2.2.jar file bundled in NetCDF.zip was identical to the JAR I would get from org.opendap. Does they differ? If so, is there anyway to get NetCDF to use the original OpenDAP file? (since the classes in opendap-2.2.jar use the "opendap" package names, we are at risk of conflict if the code is modified).

I would just integrate it into the build process, as a specific target (or
Maven goal) that the release manager runs. That way it's separate of
generating local artifacts, and just augments it with the ability to upload
to an approved forge. My +1 for that. We just recently did that in the Nutch
project [6] and it worked great.

I think that the work we did are orthogonal: the "mvn-deploy" approach I took applies to legacy releases, while the work you did would apply to all future releases. Can we deploy the existing artifacts manually using mvn-deploy (at least for NetCDF 4.1 and 4.2, and eventually for additional historical versions if we can do that easily) just for being sure to deploy the exact same thing than the JAR files downloaded from UCAR, and integrate you work on the SVN for all future releases?

    Martin