Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] NetCDF jars=>Maven Central Repos?

Hi Martin,

Comments inline below:

>> I think that the NetCDF community though has to decide if it wants to
>> continue with the Ant build or to simply use Maven. I'm staying out of that
>> holy war :) Either way we can integrate and publish to Maven Central.
>
> I'm obviously among those we think that a Maven build would be nice, but I'm
> actually neutral as long as the NetCDF files make their way to a Maven
> repository in one way or an other.

Yep me too. That's why I didn't force Maven when I wrote up my patch and I
simply integrated it into the existing Ant build.

>> I think there is an advantage however of having an uber jar at Central, but
>> maybe I should name the artifact something different, like
>> netcdf-4.2-with-dependencies.jar or something of that nature.
>
> What about "netcdf-all" to be consistent with the naming scheme already in use
> on UCAR download area?

Yeah, I agree. I think we can have like a netcdf-all app that just
aggregates everything. I can make the existing NetCDF jar on Central just be
the minimal NetCDF jar.

> However I think that there is little advantage to put everything in the same
> JAR
> file when using Maven (quite the opposite, it can makes dependency management
> and convergence analysis more difficult).

I'd disagree in the case where you simply want to include all of the
dependencies required by a particular Jar dependency in your project. Maven
even provides a mechanism to do this with mvn dependency:copy-dependencies
goal.

For component-based development, I agree, there needs to be minimal Maven
jars, but I think there's a use-case to have a *-all.jar as well in the form
of an additional artifact.

> For Maven users, having one or many
> JAR files is transparent. I rather see "netcdf-all" as a pom.xml file just
> listing "netcdf" and all dependencies in its "<dependencies>" section. So a
> Maven project that depends on "netcdf-all" get everything.

+1, that's actually a good idea, but no one has produced such a POM to date
that could be published to Central and include all the dependencies which
themselves are on Central, besides the work that you've been doing Martin.

> If someone really wants a single JAR file with everything in it, I would
> assume
> that he is not using Maven, so maybe he would be fine to download the big JAR
> file from the UCAR download area?

Nope, I have a use case where e.g., I'd want a *-all.jar in one of my
dependnecies where I'm doing an mvn assembly:assembly type project and I
need to aggregate the jars into an uber jar, included in my lib dir, via the
assembly plugin. It's for a different project (not this one), but I just
threw it out there to illustrate that the use case can crop up from time to
time.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris