Re: [netcdf-java] Mavenizing NetCDF: need guidance from UCAR representative

Hello Jon

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Le 11/12/10 12:36, John Caron a écrit :
I need
a parent pom.xml where information like version numbers can be
declared only once. We need an artifactId for that. I took the
"unidata" name. Is that all right?

ok

Chris suggested "netcdf-parent". Do you have a preference? I'm completly neutral on that. My rational was that this parent could eventually be also the parent of other projects (not necessarily NetCDF related) at Unidata.

this problem of cyclic dependencies is vexing. we divide things into modules in
order to allow features to be optional, not because they are used in standalone
mode. We use reflection in some key places for optional class loading.

The problem can be solved by letting the "common" directory be its own module (in the current Ant build script, it is merged with the "cdm" directory. In the current Maven build, it is merged with the "unidataCommon" directory). However we would have two "common" modules: "common" and "unidataCommon".

We can also just let things in its current state for now, so you have all the time you wish to think more about that. For now, I merge "common" with "unidataCommon" at build time. The inconvenient is that "grib" now depends on "unidataCommon", but this relationship could be changed in any future version.

the list of developers should probably be trimmed.

Probably. Maven makes a distinction between "developers" and "contributors". Basically developers have write access to the SVN while contributors have not. You can tell we who are actually contributors and I will rearange the pom.xml.

im unclear how this ties into our svn repository. we would add these poms to
that?

Yes, if you agree :). Just copy the pom.xml there and it should work (provided that the "unidataCommon" source code are there). To try a build, just type "mvn install". Maven will create a "target" directory which will contain everything it will build.

I also suggest that you run the following commands on each directory that contains a pom.xml file:

svn propset svn:ignore target <the directory>

It just instruct SVN to ignore the "target" directory created by Maven.

        Regards,

                Martin