[netcdf-java] Response to survey feedback on tools

Hi,

In answer to

  Question 21: If you have any suggestions or comments regarding Unidata
  Data Management tools, please enter them below (e.g. enhancement or
  future services):

one user commented

  Perhaps Unidata can work with tool providers like NCO to provide
  better tools.

This is a valuable suggestion that we would like to pursue further.

Last February, we participated in a proposal with the primary developer
of a package of netCDF tools to seek funding for adding high-level
interfaces, such as iterators, that would simplify development of
general scientific data analysis and visualization software to handle
data that are accessible through netCDF programming interfaces.  We also
proposed making use of quick feedback on this software during its
development by using its high-level interfaces in a new version of that
package of tools, to speed creation of a software layer specifically
intended for developers of generic data tools.

Although that proposal received favorable reviews, it didn't make the
cut for getting funded.  However, we're still interested in the goals of
improving the infrastructure for data access and interoperability, and
would like to work with other tool providers if similar solicitations or
opportunities arise.  We are specifically interested in facilitating the
development and adaptation of generic tools like NCO, NCL, CDO, and
other similar generic data access, analysis, and visualization software
to netCDF-4's enhanced data model.

--Russ