From: netcdf-java-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netcdf-java-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Caron
Sent: 04 May 2011 17:47
To: netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] Questions about handling dimensionless coordinates

On 5/4/2011 9:51 AM, Jon Blower wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to add support for dimensionless vertical coordinates in ncWMS and I
have a few questions:

How common is it for the transformation between dimensionless coords and
natural coords to be time-dependent?  Under what circumstances would this
occur?  Does it happen when the coordinate depends on a pressure field that
varies with time?

yes, thats the common case that ive seen: surface_pressure(time) for
hybrid/sigma coordinates. Im not sure about the ocean vertical coordinates.

If the VerticalTransform exists, can I assume that getCoordinateArray() will
always return a valid array, i.e. that nj4 has automatically found all the
auxiliary fields necessary to create the transform (such as pressure)?

yes, it will fail fast (at construction) if theres a problem.

I can see how to get the units of the transformed vertical coordinate (i.e. the
"natural" coords, via VerticalTransform.getUnitString()) but how can I get the
"positive" direction?  In other words, if the natural coordinates are in
metres, how do I know whether this is depth or height?

hmm, i never thought of that problem. im guessing a domain expert could look at
these:

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.5/cf-conventions.html#dimensionless-v-coord

and tell us the right answer, which we could then embed into the code.

What would be the most "natural" interpolation method in the vertical when
transforming a gridded field from dimensionless coordinates into levels -
nearest-neighbour or linear?  (Or something else?)

dunno -  id guess linear or log, depending on the transform.  perhaps the
domain expert could look at the above list and give some advice.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre