Re: [netcdf-java] NetCDF-Java, CF Grid Projections and Ellipsoid parameters

  • To: Don Murray <Don.Murray@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] NetCDF-Java, CF Grid Projections and Ellipsoid parameters
  • From: Tom Kunicki <tkunicki@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:39:12 -0500
Hi Don,

We have a NetCDF-Java GeoTIFF IOSP that we use internally at CIDA to access
GeoTIFF WCS responses using the NetCDF-Java CDM.  I've hesitated to release it
externally due to the number dependencies it requires and the rather, err,
hack-ish, EPSG DB I'd implemented yo back it.  To provide reasonable support
for GeoTIFFs that one may see in-the-wild the tool does need a access to a full
EPSG DB to resolve all the potential CRS *and* their components.  GeoTIFFs have
a rich mechanism for describing CRS which require implementations to have
access to a lot that CRS data.  I'd planned to provide hooks for EPSG lookups
using GeoTools or Geotk but never found the time.

Now that NetCDF-Java is mavenized the dependency tracking/resolution for
developers that want to use this should be a little easier.  Maybe I can clean
the GeoTIFF IOSP up and put it out there...

Tom