Re: [netcdf-java] Accessing to BUFR message DataSection

Hi John, Antonio,

Opera has indeed used originating center value 255 (missing value) for a while,
but Opera members should be steering away from that. This practice makes Opera
data hard to use with non Opera created decoding software.

As you can see hereunder 247 should be the correct originating center for Opera
data.

Ernst de Vreede

KNMI

A quote from:
http://www.knmi.nl/opera/bufr/doc/OPERA_2008_14_BUFR_Guidelines.pdf

3.1   Value of originating center

In BUFR language, every «originating center» (in practice every NMS and some
international bodies, e.g. ECMWF, are originating centers) has the right to
define its own local set of descriptors.  A given number identifies such an
originating center. OPERA is not recognized as such a center, and so has not
his assigned number.

This is a problem if OPERA needs to define radar specific descriptors.  It is not
possible to ask each OPERA member to add the OPERA descriptors to their local
tables, as this leads to conflicts. For instance descriptor 3 21 192 is in OPERA
a 4 bit reflectivity image, and in France it is used for calibration results.

The solution devised so far by OPERA was to piggyback on the missing value for
the originating center field in the message. This value is 255 or 65535
depending on the BUFR edition used (see 3.3).

Since summer 2008, WMO has allocated 247 as the official «originating center»
for OPERA. It is not decided currently how OPERA members will handle the
transition.