[netcdf-java] NetCDF-4 / HDF5 Write Capability

NetCDF-Java Folks,

We have a need to write NetCDF4/HDF5 files from within a project that already
has a significant framework developed in Java.  We also have a firm requirement
to be able to "append" to existing files - which (unfortunately) takes the
Nujan library off the table (at least in it's current incarnation).  I see from
the NetCDF-Java FAQ
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/faq.html#Writing)
that you are considering a JNI approach for writing NetCDF4 from NJ, and I'd
like to put my vote in for that.  The HDF Team supports JNI Java modules for
Windows, Linux and Mac - wouldn't it be relatively straightforward to integrate
those into the NetCDF-Java distro to give it NC4 writing capability?

As part of such an addition (including & using the JHI & JHI5 libraries), would
you also consider refactoring the current HDF read support to utilize the JNI
libraries?

Best,
Chris

--
Christopher Mueller | Scientific Developer
Applied Science Associates

ASA | Science. Services. Solutions

Consider the environment before printing this email.