Re: [netcdf-java] [thredds] Collection Specification

  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] [thredds] Collection Specification
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 17:53:54 -0700
On 12/16/2011 4:24 PM, Gallagher James wrote:

On Dec 16, 2011, at 3:21 PM, John Caron wrote:

For the Collection Specification, Im thinking of using this when we start using Java 7 (which will be in version 4.4):

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/file/FileSystem.html#getPathMatcher(java.lang.String) <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/file/FileSystem.html#getPathMatcher%28java.lang.String%29>

Comments on this decision would be welcome.

Question: Is this part of the aggregation work that you doing that will not use ncml?
yes, at least it does not use NcML right now.

Comment: I really like these kinds of things in Java (e.g., their Date stuff) but for other languages they can be a pain. One way you can simplify implementations in other languages is to specify which parts you're actually going to use. Languages like C++ and Python can do this stuff - there's almost always a library out there - but it's nice to know how much users will need.

i agree. but the getPathMatcher() seems to have a clear spec, and at least it would be a clear reference implementation if it had to be ported. However, I need to study it closer.

john