Re: [netcdf-java] [thredds] Java to Python tools

The important question is why you need Python.  If it's to access some C
library with python bindings (e.g. numpy or netCDF4-python) then Jython isn't
appropriate and you'll need one of those Python<->bridges JPype or Jepp.

If you need the very latest Python features (particularly Python 3) you'll also
find Jython is a bit behind CPython.  Many standard Python frameworks now work
with Jython (e.g. Django, SQLAlchemy) but you'd have to check the compatibility
of each dependency.

Otherwise Jython is the most popular and well maintained choice.

Depending on your application you could also wire Java and Python together
using inter-process communication.  There is a plethora of RPC libraries out
there with good Python and Java support.  E.g. protocol buffers.

Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK