Re: [netcdf-java] Reading an OPeNDAP URL using a constraint expression.

> > Thanks for getting back to me.
> > >

> > Interestingly, that's not exactly true. Apparently one can, it's just not
> > *really* constrained. Or I should say, everything is constrained *except*
> > the data in the variable.
> >

> We've been experimenting with allowing constrained datasets, but obviously
> its not done. Im of the opinion its not the right thing to do, because things
> like metadata cant be kept consistent.
Got it.

We have a project that layers opendap over a SQL database. The only way to get
*any* data out of the database is to use a constraint expression. I'll have to
run some tests with NetCDF-Java against it to see what's going with the data
when we try to fetch it back. But I will say having NetCDF-Java be able to open
an opendap constraint would be very useful.

Also, I think if someone's is providing a constraint expression, they probably
already have a good handle on the data structure and metadata. So some slush in
the metadata might be OK.

Cheers

-- B
Brian Schlining