Re: [netcdf-java] Reading an OPeNDAP URL using a constraint expression.

  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] Reading an OPeNDAP URL using a constraint expression.
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 11:52:23 -0600
On 5/10/2012 4:47 PM, Mike McCann wrote:

On May 10, 2012, at 12:50 PM, John Caron<caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 5/10/2012 1:40 PM, Brian Schlining wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You cant open a dataset with a constraint expression in netcdf-Java.
Interestingly, that's not exactly true. Apparently one can, it's just not
*really* constrained. Or I should say, everything is constrained *except* the
data in the variable.
We've been experimenting with allowing constrained datasets, but obviously its
not done. Im of the opinion its not the right thing to do, because things like
metadata cant be kept consistent.
Hi John,

Brian and I are working on implementing an ideal way to get data from a
relational database that contains in situ measurements from platforms that
produce mostly trajectory feature type data. We've put the data into a
GeoSpatial RDBMS so that we can take advantage of the arbitrary column and
spatial indexing capabilities.

We have a web application that provides previews of the data and can generate
urls for service calls (much like erddap). We would like our users to load the
data via such a service call directly into tools that use netcdf-java.

If there is some way to make the metadata consistent perhaps we can discuss
that...

Best regards,
Mike
Hi Mike, Brian:

Why do you need to open the dataset with a constraint vs applying a constraint to the data read ? Can you give an example ?

John