[netcdf-java] DataType.LONG not supported?

Hi,

I've been trying to implement NetCDF file support for one of our applications.
I've been trying to store time steps as long values within a variable. But for
this line of code:

        Variable var = file.addVariable("timestep", DataType.LONG, dimensions);
 // "file" being the a NetcdfFileWritable object and "dimensions" an ArrayList
containing one dimension object (time dimension)

I get this exception:

        java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: illegal dataType for netcdf-3
format: long

was Long as a datatype not yet supported in NetCDF Version 3? And if so, why is
it implemented in the DataType class without any hints?

I'm using the netcdfAll-4.2 library, JDK 6 on OSX 10.7.4

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

-- tiiv