Re: [netcdf-java] GRIB-2-netCDF Projection Question

Hi Bryan:

1. The classes you are working with in NetCDF-Java 4.0 are no longer supported. Please look at ucar.nc2.grib.* classes in NetCDF-Java 4.3.

2. NetCDF-Java does not support writing GRIB files, only reading them. So we support GRIB -> netcdf/CF, but not the other way around. In principle, if you understand the CF conventions, you can write the correct GRIB GDS from them.

3. The convention that projection x and y values must be positive is not used. Thats more of a GIS thing and is rather artificial; one typically has to add "false_northing" and "false_easting" to make it true.

4. The "origin of the projection" may also be different than what you are used to. It is essentially the place where x=0, y=0 in the projection defined by the LambertConformal class; LA1 and LO1 is the position of one of the corners of the grid. Theres no documentation other than the code for GRIB, but you might find this helpful:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/StandardCoordinateTransforms.html

John