Re: [netcdf-java] featureType usage question

Rich and Ellyn,

I think the need for the introduction of a station dimension in the observation
variables in the NcMl arises from the fact that the lat, lon and depth
variables are not scalars in the underlying dataset.  The have a dimension, of
length 1, but they are not scalars...

Tom

On Jul 17, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Rich Signell wrote:

> Ellyn,
> Indeed, on the NODC NetCDF FeatureTypes templates page:
> https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=NODC_NetCDF_Templates
> the dataset for "time series" with one platform:
> http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/testdata/netCDFTemplateExamples/timeSeries/BodegaMarineLabBuoy.nc.html
> does *not* have a station dimension, and is readable by NetCDF (4.3)
> Tools (ToolsUI).
>
> -Rich
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Ellyn Montgomery <emontgomery@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Thanks very much Tom!
>>
>> When I use the webstart toolsUI V4.3 on your ncml, it still puts Station in
>> the feature type, and like mine, the dataType is empty in the CoordSys view.
>>
>> I think I read in the CF-1.6 doc that if you only have one station in a
>> file, you don't need to use the station dimension.  But obviously adding it
>> lets you view the time series data entries- which is a big improvement.
>> Interesting...
>>
>> Best, Ellyn
>>

>> On 07/17/2012 03:41 PM, Tom Kunicki wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ellyn,
>>>
>>> I was able to view the time series data by adding a station dimension and
>>> adding it the the dimension/shape of the observation variables.
>>>

>>> This body part will be downloaded on demand.
>>

>> --
>> Ellyn T. Montgomery, Oceanographer and Data Manager
>> U.S. Geological Survey
>> Woods Hole Coastal and Marine Science Center
>> 384 Woods Hole Road, Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598
>> (508)457-2356

> --
> Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229
> USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.