Re: [netcdf-java] Serialization of ucar.ma2.Array

looks good!

On 12/6/2012 12:38 AM, Nils Hoffmann wrote:
Hi John,
thank you for your answer. To clarify, I was not trying to realize
long-term persistence of Array objects. I just
needed short term persistence in order to use ehcache to cache arrays
and spill over to disk in case of memory exhaustion.
Ehcache does not seem to have a straightforward way of plugging in a
customized serialization mechanism apart from
using the Java default one, which is why I had to stick to that. It
would probably also be possible to use other serialization
libraries like Kryo or, as you mentioned "protocol buffers" within the
writeExternal/readExternal methods.

I ended up implementing a wrapper object for Array that handles
the serialization and deserialization, maybe not in the most efficient
way, but it currently meets my requirements and looks quite
simple:

public class SerializableArray implements Externalizable {

     @Override
     public void writeExternal(ObjectOutput oo) throws IOException {
         if(array!=null) {
             oo.writeObject(DataType.getType(array.getElementType()));
             oo.writeObject(array.getShape());
             oo.writeObject(array.getStorage());
         }
     }

     @Override
     public void readExternal(ObjectInput oi) throws IOException,
ClassNotFoundException {
         array = Array.factory((DataType)oi.readObject(),
(int[])oi.readObject(), oi.readObject());
     }
}

And it passes all tests. So I am currently good to go with that solution.
Thanks again for the pointers!

Nils