Re: [netcdf-java] [Q] How to generate NetCDF file from NcML using ToolsUI via "command line"?

  • To: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] [Q] How to generate NetCDF file from NcML using ToolsUI via "command line"?
  • From: "H. Joe Lee" <hyoklee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 16:52:54 -0600
Thanks, John for the documents! I succeeded in creating an edited
NetCDF-3 from NcML via command line following your documents.

However, I failed to create NetCDF-4 from NcML. What I tried:

java -Xmx1g -classpath ./netcdfAll-4.3.jar
ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset -in grid_1_3d_z.ncml -out
grid_1_3d_z.nc4 -netcdf4 -nj22Config ./n2jjConfig.xml

My n2jjConfig.xml file is simple:

 <?xml version="1.0"?>
<nj22Config>
<Netcdf4Clibrary>
     <libraryPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\netCDF 4.3.0-rc2\bin</libraryPath>
     <libraryName>netcdf-7</libraryName>
</Netcdf4Clibrary>
</nj22Config>

I tried a different combination of <libraryName> value such as
netcdf-7, netcdf.dll but it did not work.
I also tried replacing '\' to '/ or /bin/' to /lib'' in the path.
I'm using the Windows netCDF-4.3RC2 64-bit from [1].

I also observed something interesting. The original NetCDF-3 file
converted from HDF-EOS2 that I tested was 33K but NetCDF-Java shrunk
it to 2.3K NetCDF-3 file when I edited one attribute NcML, What's the
magic? I couldn't believe my eyes so I checked the edited file using
both ToolsUI and NetCDF-C ncdump; they both could open it
successfully.

Regards,

[1] http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/win_netcdf/netCDF4.3RC2-NC4-64.exe
--