Re: [netcdf-java] netCDF CDM grid with ensemble axis

Cofiño and Don,

Thanks much for the input and the examples.  This is extremely helpful.  It
will take me a while to experiment with the examples and understand the
implications for what we are trying to accomplish.

In particular, I'm going to use the examples to try to build my own
ensembles from separate files using NCML.  Cofiño, if you can share a bit
of your NCML that would be a great.

Thanks.  I'll try to remember to report back anything I learn with my
experiments that might be useful.

Roland

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Don Murray (NOAA Affiliate) <
don.murray@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All-
>
> This provides an example of the different ways that an ensemble dimension
> can be used and that the CDM can handle.  For Antonio's example, the
> dimension ordering is:
>
>     float tas(ensemble=5, time1=121, height=1, lat=126, lon=201);
>       :_CoordinateAxes = "ensemble time1 height lat lon ";
>       :standard_name = "air_temperature";
>       :long_name = "Surface air temperature";
>       :units = "Celsius";
>
> with ensemble as the leftmost dimension
>
> In the ensemble files I generate, they are:
>
>     float Total_precipitation(time=1, ens=11, lat=27, lon=51);
>       :_FillValue = 9999.0f; // float
>       :units = "kg m-2";
>       :long_name = "Total_precipitation_Accumulation (Accumulation for
>  Mixed Intervals) @ surface";
>
> I put time in the leftmost dimension.
>
> The nice thing is that the CDM does not care!  You can structure it
> according to your needs.
>
> Don
>

> On 11/5/13 12:59 PM, Cofiño Gonzalez, Antonio Santiago wrote:
>
>> Roland,
>>
>> This is an example with Ensemble coordinate axis
>>
>> http://www.meteo.unican.es/thredds/catalog/WRFUC/2013110412/catalog.html?
>> dataset=OPERWRF12DatasetScan/2013110412/oper_gfs_mgrama_
>> 2013110412_d02.ncml
>>
>> Antonio S. Cofiño
>> Santander Meteorology Group
>> University of Cantabria
>>

>> El 05/11/2013, a las 16:45, "Roland Schweitzer - NOAA Affiliate"
>> <roland.schweitzer@xxxxxxxx <mailto:roland.schweitzer@xxxxxxxx>>
>> escribió:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I see hints in the Java netCDF API that it can understand a grid that
>>> has an ensemble axis.  What's not clear to me is how one constructs a
>>> netCDF data source (either in the file or via some sort of TDS
>>> aggregation) that represents the ensemble.  The CF conventions
>>> document doesn't seem say anything about ensembles.
>>>
>>> Google is failing me, can anybody offer some examples or documentation
>>> links for data sources with an ensemble axis?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roland