Re: [netcdf-java] [thredds] Help with GRIB encoding - what is "reference time of data" ??

  • To: "Benno Blumenthal" <benno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] [thredds] Help with GRIB encoding - what is "reference time of data" ??
  • From: "TOYODA Eizi" <toyoda.eizi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:38:44 +0900
Hi Benno,

1) I had similar question before.  I'm sorry I can't remember the conclusion
for GRIB, but for BUFR, there are several element descriptors whose
definition changed over time.  WMO is trying to maintain upper
compatibility, but sometimes something happened unfortunately.  I guess it
is safer to assume GRIB is in similar status.

2)  Again I'm sorry the table posted at following site is the only one
maintained.
http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WMOCodes/WMO306_vI2/LatestVERSION/LatestVERSION.html
Collecting local tables is I think the next step.

3) You'll need the code of the originating centre (and probably sub-centre)
to identify the local table.  By the way I think NCEP and ECMWF are using
different short names for GRIB parameters.  So I don't think it is easy for
WMO to establish its standard name.

Sorry about unconfortable answers....
Eizi