Re: [netcdf-java] [thredds] Help with GRIB encoding - what is "reference time of data" ??

Hi Benno:

AFAIU:

Grib1 has center (5), subcenter (26), and table version no (4), all single bytes. ( if process id (6) is used for table lookup, that may be considered "non-standard").

because the parameter tables got full so quickly, all sorts of practices developed. Undocumented AFAICT, though consistent typically within a center. Its also safe to say that local tables are not published in any consistent or authoritative way.

Grib2 is better in many ways, and generally more consistent, but oh yeah, you just have to know that center X uses variant Y except when it doesnt. WMO is publishing their GRIB2 tables now in XML, which I consider programmatically useful, since it can be read by software without human intervention (once you learn the schema).

In terms of backwards compatibility, as Eiza says, it is almost but not always, and really only the writer of the GRIB records knows for sure what table was used.

In short, not good for general GRIB readers, and I have been advocating that GRIB not be used for archival of data until these fundamentals are fixed.

John