Re: [netcdf-java] [Reduced gaussian] reading specifications

Hi Martin:

To access lower level GRIB1 reading, you use the classes in ucar.nc2.grib.grib1:

 RandomAccessFile raf = new RandomAccessFile(filepath, "r");
 Grib1RecordScanner reader = new Grib1RecordScanner(raf);
 while (reader.hasNext()) {
   ucar.nc2.grib.grib1.Grib1Record gr2 = reader.next();
   // do good stuff
 }
 raf.close();

or similarly for GRIB2, use the classes in ucar.nc2.grib.grib2:

RandomAccessFile raf = new RandomAccessFile(filepath, "r");
Grib2RecordScanner scan = new Grib2RecordScanner(raf);
 while (scan.hasNext()) {
   ucar.nc2.grib.grib2.Grib2Record gr1 = scan.next();
   // do stuff
 }
raf.close();

Note that these are not supported public APIs, and are subject to change. But the low level stuff is pretty stable.

To read the data from a GRIB1 record:

  float[] data = gr1.readData(raf);

To read the data from a GRIB2 record:

Grib2SectionDataRepresentation drs = gr2.getDataRepresentationSection();
float[] data = gr2.readData(raf, drs.getStartingPosition());

to get at thin grids, you will want to look at and override or replace QuasiRegular.convertQuasiGrid

John