[netcdf-java] NCEP 174 Grid scanMode 64 flipped grids

Java NetCDF Folks,

We have recently begun generating global 1/8 degree GRIB files
using NCEP's grid 174 definition
(http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/tableb.html#GRID174).

Following that definition, we are setting the value of scanMode to 64, which
per GRIB2 Table 3.4 indicates "points scan in the +j direction", and so filling
the data arrays from south to north. However, the java-netCDF package (v4.5)
does not seem to handle the scanMode flag properly, and consequently our
grids appear flipped on display.  Meanwhile, I understand that NCL does handle
the data mapping correctly, from which we conclude that java-netCDF is has a
problem with this grid definition.

As a work-around, we will set scanMode to 0 and write from north to south,
which will fix the problem for us. But, we'd also hope to have the tools work
correctly, too so that we can use the NCEP's grid as specified -- which
admittedly is strange in that it list the corner lons from north to south.

I've posted a sample GRIB2 file and resulting flipped image here:
  ftp://aftp.fsl.noaa.gov/divisions/its/bob/grid174_scanmode_64_example.grb2
  ftp://aftp.fsl.noaa.gov/divisions/its/bob/flipped_174grid.jpg

FWIW, here is the output from the (v4.3) Grib2Dump utility on that data file:

                                           Header : GRIB2
                                       Discipline : 0 Meteorological products
                                  GRIB Edition : 2
                                   GRIB length : 2808735
                       Originating Center : 59 The NOAA Forecast Systems
Laboratory
               Originating Sub-Center : 0
Significance of Reference Time : 1 Start of forecast
                           Reference Time : 2015-01-08T00:00:00Z
                              Product Status : 0 Operational products
                                Product Type : 1 Forecast products
                Number of data points : 4147200
                                    Grid Name : 0 Latitude_Longitude
                                    Grid Shape: 0 Earth spherical with radius =
6,367,470 m
Number of points along parallel: 2880
Number of points along meridian: 1440
                                      Basic angle : 0
            Subdivisions of basic angle: 0
              Latitude of first grid point : 89.938
           Longitude of first grid point : 0.062
     Resolution & Component flags : 48
                                                Winds : True
               Latitude of last grid point : -89.938
            Longitude of last grid point : 359.938
                       i direction increment : 0.125
                       j direction increment : 0.125
                                           Grid Units : degrees
                                 Scanning mode : 64
                             Product Definition : 0 Analysis/forecast at
horizontal level/layer at a point in time
                         Parameter Category : 0 Temperature
                               Parameter Name : 0 Temperature
                                 Parameter Units : K
                 Generating Process Type : 2 Forecast
                                     ForecastTime : 240
                             First Surface Type : 1 Ground or water surface
                            First Surface value : 0.0
                       Second Surface Type : 255 Missing
                      Second Surface value : 0.0

   Thanks for any insights on this issue!