[netcdf-java] Errors reading certain NetCDF4 data

We’ve written some wrappers around the NetCDF java packages and are
running into some odd errors. We can successfully read the netCDF4 and
NetCDF4-classic files. But we have a new NetCDF4 file that is throwing us
an interesting error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: MessageAttribute unknown version 72
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header$MessageAttribute.read(H5header.java:2645)
        at
ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header$DataObject.processAttributeInfoMessage(H5header
.java:1579)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header$DataObject.<init>(H5header.java:1548)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header$DataObject.<init>(H5header.java:1441)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header.getDataObject(H5header.java:1291)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header.access$700(H5header.java:48)
        at
ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header$DataObjectFacade.<init>(H5header.java:1334)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header.readSuperBlock2(H5header.java:301)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5header.read(H5header.java:156)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.hdf5.H5iosp.open(H5iosp.java:86)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.<init>(NetcdfFile.java:1110)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:623)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:320)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:290)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:277)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:265)

The file is provided to us, so I don’t have any idea how it’s being
written, but would that matter? Is this a library issue? Is this some
configuration on my part that might be causing this issue?

Thanks,
Mike Gangl