Re: [netcdf-java] NetCDF-Java CF compliance

Dear Sean, Robert,

Thanks to both for the fast reply.
I’ve sent you a link to the sample NetCDF4 files, generated with Python’s
netCDF4 package (custom code)
and GDAL v1.11 utilities.

I’ve tried several options (like datatype for dataset or valid_range, _Unsigned
attribute, etc), as you
can see in the four examples (prefixed 1_, 2_,… in filename).
H5dump –A output for each file is included as well (h5d_1.txt for the file
1_...nc and so on).

Files 1-2-3 use signed integer datatype:

·         dataset LAI cannot be shown on standard geo2D plot in Panoply

·         CF compliance checker at Reading, UK gives no warning or error (and I
know it checks datatypes),
so file is (largely) compliant with CF v1.6.

File 4 uses unsigned datatype

·         can be read/plotted in Panoply, though the valid range is printed
wrongly (0…-46 but UB type)

·         CF compliance checker complains

ERROR (8.1): LAI must be of type byte, short or int

and section 8.1 of CF conventions doc mentions the use of signed integers.

The LAI-QFLAG 16-bit dataset is shown properly though, so I think you can focus
on LAI dataset
and possibly byte/ubyte for the tests.

Best regards,
Tim