Re: [netcdf-java] scalefactors from grib-files in NetCDF for Java 4.6.3

  • To: Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] scalefactors from grib-files in NetCDF for Java 4.6.3
  • From: Christian Ward-Garrison <cwardgar@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 20:52:33 -0600
Hi Robert,

I disagree with the statement that the VariableDS 'knows' its data came
from a grib1 file. It'll likely have some attributes attached that mention
grib parameters, but the details of the underlying file format are
purposefully abstracted away. So, given just a VariableDS, I don't believe
it's possible to retrieve the decimalScaleFactor of the underlying grib
record.

However, if you're willing to work at a lower level in the stack, there are
some options. Here [1] is some test code where we open a grib1 record as a
RandomAccessFile and retrieve its GribData.Info. Once you have that object,
you can just read its decimalScaleFactor field.

Hopefully that'll get you started,
Christian

[1]
https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/blob/master/cdm-test/src/test/java/ucar/nc2/writer/TestGribSize.java#L125