Re: [netcdf-java] Upgrading from NetCDF 4.6.15 to 5.5.3 (GRIB2 Table changes)

Hi Danielle:

If things are correct, names shouldnt change when standard name tables are
updated. But, its been an ongoing problem, so you are definitely not alone.
Grib-1 is more or less a lost cause, but one should be able to use Grib-2
correctly.
There are many knobs and levers to adjust/override tables, but ill let the
Unidata support group point you to the right docs.
If you have a specific file or dataset you are using, i can look at it and
give feedback if you want.

John

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 4:07 AM Daniele Romagnoli <
daniele.romagnoli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John,
> Thanks for the reply. That's a good question.
> I had some applications, data structures and metadata based on those old
> names.
> So the upgrade will also require a rename/slight refactor of all the
> dependent parts which I was aiming to avoid or at least scheduled for a
> different moment.
>
> Regards,
> Daniele
>
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 6:26 PM John Caron <jcaron1129@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniele:
>>
>> Do you want to keep using the previous version names because you know
>> that they are correct, or because they look right and you would prefer not
>> to know if they are incorrect?
>>
>> Sorry to be a snark, but GRIB is so badly messed up with its table
>> versioning that someone has to ask that.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 1:04 PM Daniele Romagnoli <
>> daniele.romagnoli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I'm investigating upgrading the NetCDF library used in one application,
>>> moving from 4.6.15 to 5.5.3.
>>>
>>> During the upgrade attempt I have noticed some inconsistencies and
>>> missing functionalities on the GRIB data that I was using in the
>>> application. I think it can be related to some GRIB2 tables that have been
>>> modified (so that some variables changed name) with this change: