Re: varid return value

NOTE: The netcdf-perl mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Gary,

Does the perl script exit after the error occurs?  Are you using the
NetCDF::opts() function to tell the netCDF library not to terminate
when an error occurs?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Gary Hodges wrote:
The netcdf man page indicates that ncvarid will return a value of -1 if an error occurs. I have the following code and I know that "head_temp2" does not exist in the netcdf file.

my $vid = NetCDF::varid($ncid, "head_temp2");
print("$vid\n);

I get the error "ncvarid: ncid 5: Variable not found" when this is run. Ultimately what I want to do is test if a variable exists and set a flag based on the result so I'm not necessarily tied to varid.

Gary