Patent #4,956,809 on canonical ordering of binary data

  • To: montanaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Patent #4,956,809 on canonical ordering of binary data
  • From: Russ Rew <russ>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1991 10:02:11 -0600
Skip Montanaro writes:

> I just received a copy of patent #4,956,809, "Method for Canonical
> Ordering of Binary Data for Portable Operating Systems", dated Sep. 11,
> 1990. It describes the Sun/XDR-style scheme of converting binary data
> into canonical form before writing it to a file or sending it over a
> network. It seems to strike right at the heart of netcdf and RPC/NFS.
>
> The date of this patent filing was Dec. 29, 1988, and references
> previous applications dated Nov.  24, 1986 and Jun. 23, 1982, both now
> abandoned.
>
> Here's the abstract from the patent:
>
>     A method for making files compatible between different computers
>     having different binary structures while using the same operating
>     system by keeping all files in a standardized canonical order when
>     they move to or from external data storage or communication means.
>     The method includes converting all binary data accessed from a file
>     or communications channel from the canonical order to the natural
>     order of the host computer before using the binary data in the host
>     computer and converting all binary data which is to be sent to a
>     file or communications channel from the natural order of the host
>     computer to the canonical order before sending the binary data.

I have refrained from replying to this note until I could see a copy of the
patent and discuss the matter with UCAR lawyers.  Having done both, I can
now say that we are on notice and are studying this matter.  If you know of
any prior art which would negate the claims of this patent (other than what
is posted or discussed on USENET) please pass along a reference to us.
Thanks.

--Russ