[no subject]

TO:netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FROM: a250852@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SUBJECT: netCDF Software

I am currently attempting to install and test the netCDF software on a DEC/VMS
platform (version 5.2). The netCDF software came with a README for the netCDF
software dated October 1990.

I successfully compiled all the source. The problem arose when attempting the
execute the nctest program. When the nctest program was run, it got as far as
the Testing ncopen ... test. It then produced the following error message:

** test_ncopen: ncendef failed after ncattput

The software then crashed giving a system SYSTEM-F-ACCVID error.

Running the debugger to try and locate the problem indicated that the problem
seemed to be centered around the failure (return value != 0) of the system call
rename, made in a routine called NC_endef in the source file file.c. Prior to
the rename call, a file is created in the local directory named aaaxxxxxx.,
where xxxxxx is a six digit number. The rename call attempts to rename the
aaaxxxxxx file to test.cdf. At the time of the call to the rename function,
both the aaaxxxxxx file and the test.cdf file exist. Both files are evidently
locked by the process that is running as I tried to remove the file while
stepping through the process prior to the rename function call and was told
that the file was locked.

Any assistance in helping me correct the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
                                Don Clapper
                                Product Software Engineering/
                                Analytical Technologies Division