Other 'standard' formats

The netCDF file system seems quite elaborate, with excellent features,
and seems to have a popular following. As someone new to these so
called standards, I am not quite sure which to choose.  There seem to
be other interfaces around which have some claims to being 'standard'
also.  Like, for example, the NCSA HDF system. And what about others
like WEB and BASIS? There may also be others. Has anyone compared
these against each other? Is there any sense in such a comparison? I
would like to hear more from the experts to help me get a start on
this. Any information woiuld be helpful.

                Morrell Chance
                PPPL
                E-mail: chance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    or: chance@xxxxxxxxxxxxx