Re: netCDF: Regularly-spaced coordinates

 <> From steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Wed Mar 25 14:45:43 1992
 <> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1992 13:34:32 -0700
 <> From: Steve Emmerson <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 <> To: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 <> Subject: Re: netCDF: Regularly-spaced coordinates
 <>
 <> >  I just propose we streighten out more than the issue of the
 <> >regularly spaced grids. Why don`t we want the whole pie: the concept
 <> >for storage of grids of different complexity and mathematical
 <> >generality. I could imagine something like this:
 <> >
 <> >general grids ----> quadrilateral ---> rectangular ---> reqularly spaced
 <> >               |                                        /  |   \
 <> >               |--> triangular                         /   |    \
 <> >          |                                   linear  |   other important
 <> >               |--> other                             logarithmical
 <>
 <> Looks like a perfect candidate for a C++ class hierarchy.
 <>
 <> Anyone seen such a beast?
 <>
 <> Steve Emmerson           <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 <>

We are looking at the related issue here of representation
of multigrid data.  Where there is a large, coarse 3-D grid
(assume rectangular for sanity), and then subsets of it will
be regridded onto a finer mesh.  This can be done hierarchically
with several layers of increasingly refined subgridding.

Multigrid may be the way to handle difficult 3-D fluid dynamics
problems, and is being explored by a number of adventurous
fluid dynamicists.

Any netcdfers have ideas on representation strategies?

       --Barbara Mihalas       bmihalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx