Unexpected File Growth

My thanks for your responses.  I now understand the reasons, but the
effects linger.

We record raw data on both ships and buoys in netCDF form.  The use of netCDF
throughout the acquisition/processing/analysis sequence has been instrumental
in improving our ability to handle and share data and tools.

In a buoy scenario power and storage space are the predominant
controls.  Most of our variables are stored NC_FLOAT.  To accomodate an
additional, low resolution, variable I chose NC_BYTE.  In a file with
more than 300,000 records I expected a growth of 300,000 bytes.  I was
suprised when the growth was four times that.  Consequently, the
storage considerations will need re-thinking.

Yes, I have considered a non-netCDF format for raw recording.  However,
the integrity of netCDF and its convenience to raw data distribution
are too valuable.

If there are few advantages to the use of lower resolution (non-float)
variables, why not declare all integer storage to be NC_LONG?

Cheers,
   ken
            Ken Prada                 |
Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering |Organization is critical to success.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution  |
       (508) 457-2000 Ext 2711        |Try eating a soup sandwich.
         kegp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx           |