Adding netCDF support to HDF (fwd)

> From: chouck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>       A prototype implementation is currently being designed to
> determine how HDF needs to be modified to accomodate the netCDF data
> model.  Our basic abstraction is to represent netCDF structures
> as HDF V-Groups.  It will then be possible to integrate netCDF objects
> with the rest of the HDF tool suite; a user could easily associate a
> 24-bit raster image with a netCDF variable, for example.  Such an
> integration will then allow tools written for netCDF and tools
> written for HDF to both interact intelligently with the new data
> files.

The following might be useful, please omit it if you alrady know:

HDF and HDFVset software are in public domain; binaries, libraries,
sources and docs can be obtained from anonymous ftp.
address:   ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
directory: HDF
directory: HDF/HDFVset

Have fun.
                                Gabor Fichtinger
                                Scientific Visualization Group,
                                Center for High Performance Computing
                                The University of Texas System
                                Balcones Research Center, 1.154 CMS
                                10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX, 78758-4497
                                Ph.  : (512) 471 2409
                                Ph.  : 1-800-262-2472/2409 (toll free)
                                Fax  : (512) 471 2445
                                Email: gabor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx